Sunday 7th August 2011 by Dave W
This was an easy flat walk around the Wey river and canal. Ten of us set out from Ripley car park across fields under a blue sky and fluffy clouds.
We soon came to Ockham Mill, marked 1862. The mill wheel would have been over the stream behind the building , but there is a garage there now.
We passed a band of archers.
There was a lot of activity going on with the barges.
We came across a house used in 1600-1604 by John Donne, poet and Dean of St.Pauls...
...and on this side of the river were unusual flowers,
identified by our botany expert as Orange Balsam.
We had our picnic lunch at Walsham lock beside the weir and footbridge.
Later we could see the ruins of 12th century Newark Priory.
Many thanks to Jim and Pam for leading the walk.